Monday, September 8, 2008

How to write a report

After reading the article about the death of Joey Giardello. I think I'm learning a little better on how to report on any given topic. The first paragraph summarizes pretty much what the article is going to be about, and then goes into detail. Since it was an article about the death of a famous person, I expected that the opening paragraph would announce said person's death and then give a quick overview in 2-3 sentences what this person was remembered for. Sure enough this article starts off stating that Joey Giardello was a middleweight boxing champion, and what he has done outside of boxing that people would remember him for. In the last sentence of the first paragraph it announces his death, date and age of death. It then goes into a little more detail about his death in the next paragraph, and then the rest is a quick biography from beginning to end of some of the highlights of his life. The article then ends with some quotes he has stated earlier in his life. I think this article gives me a better idea of how to write a better report, since it was easy to see what the article was trying to tell me, the format was pretty clear.

1 comment:

philip.kay said...

Obituaries have a very clear structure, more than most types of stories and you can learn a lot from them. Well done.