The article about the Muslims in catholic schools in France caught my eye for a couple of reasons. One being a French native myself, and the other is the obvious mention of religion. What got to me was that this catholic school understands and accepts Muslims into their schools, because the state schools do not offer the same openness. This makes sense to me... The United States of America is built upon the Judea Christian bible, and like Christianity, it tolerates other religions. The first amendment, like discussed in class, is all about freedom of religion. And one more thing I thought that was interesting was the mention of how Catholic schools, and other religious schools offer one thing that state schools have lost sight of. That is the implementing of moral values and respect, which I agree, today I went to the library, museum and several trains, and each one of them contained cursing and disrespectful children. It's sad.
Now going on to news values... I'm sorry but this article scores a 1 on every on every single value. Maybe a 2 out of 5 for impact on people, only because it involves two of the biggest religions in the world, other than that it scores very low, even the timeliness is virtually unknown, but I'm sure this school has been this way for quite some time now.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I would argue that, in spite of what a religious society/culture we have, the USA is NOT built upon the Judeo Christian Bible. In fact, the single most distinguishing feature about this country in history is that we formed ourselves specifically around the idea that religion had absolutely no place in public life. The problem of religious tolerance and the boundaries between church and state in Europe is one of the biggies for them, especially in France. Did you go to school there?
Post a Comment