Sunday, September 14, 2008
Young people and Chile
One of the front page stories of the September 13th New York Times drew my attention immediately. The article about the youth of Chile having clubs that encourage teens to make out with as many people as possible. The picture itself just drew my attention and it's inapproriateness. I found it to be very sad, but aside from the moral issues I found from the article, what was interesting was the factor with the internet. It's true what the article said, that the internet is changing a lot of how young people are expressing themselves and their social lives. I see people who are always attached to texting and using the internet, sometimes lack certain social skills. They find trouble expressing themselves through words, find themselves in many awkward social situations, and so on. So this culture change in Chile with hooking up and attending parties based on internet popularity, this most definitely has played a factor in how children are growing up in Chile. The internet is truly changing how people interact and those who use it the most (young people) have been most evidently affected.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's funny, I actually discussed this with my Dad and he started laughing and asked me if I remembered the stories of the 60's and 70's? I feel every nation goes through a sexual revolution at some point and unfortunately, Chile is just beginning theirs and it just so happens to fit in perfectly with the growth of the internet.
Post a Comment