Saturday, October 25, 2008

Way too many garage sales...

One of the front page stories today in the New York Times was about the limiting of garage sales to some households to 3 a year. Many people are desperately selling items in their households for dirt cheap prices to pay the bills. The story mentions a family's selling their child's tricycle for $3, while the child was still riding it! Although, in my opinion that seems a little exaggerated... the imagery of desperation for these people seem to be having is sad. I sympathize with all those who are struggling, and I've also been seeing many people around where I live have garage sales. In this time of a financial crisis, it seems as though the government is just trying to make it harder to pay the bills as it is.

Story gets a 5 for proximity... I see these garage sales every weekend. (well except for this one... I didn't go out today... I'm a loser."

This story also gets a 5 for currency.

As for titillating and sensationalism, and uniqueness, it's about a 1... it isn't too interesting nor special... the story is just reporting on one of the ways families are struggling to pay the bills in this time of crisis.

1 comment:

erikajbush said...

People are struggling and I agree that the increasing number of garage sales shows this, but I cannot believe that people are being limited! In Maine, garage sales, yard sales and many other types of sales are very common. There is this one guy in our town who has been having an ongoing lawn sale for the past 2 years. I think this article is quite humorous.