Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Silencing a Journalist

I feel that politics have not place in journalism, I know we all feel this way too. Unfortunately that is not the case. In Afghanistan a 23 year old journalism student wrote about Islam and woman's rights. Somewhere along the way he puts down the prophet Muhammad. Pressure from militia and political leaders which he also criticized, led to the panel of judges to sentence him to death. Afghanistan's freedom of speech isn't as abundant as it is here in the United States. However, it was overturned, but he was still sentenced to 20 years... This is still sad though... that a journalist cannot print and distribute what he wants to say, because of a ideology that limits any kind of defamatory remarks towards their beliefs. I'm grateful we live in a country that gives us the freedom of speech and press, and not having to worry about getting arrested.

2 comments:

Mirelis said...

Wow! I didn't read this article but you did really good at summing it up. It is extremely unfortunate that not every country grants rights that seem so natural to us. It just goes to show the importance of journalism all over!

LisbethReyna said...

i can't believe it! this is unusual but real. i guess journalists now are facing more challenges and threats in the field...this is very sad!